Monday 17 December 2007

The Nutcracker Clara wakes

Yes, it is really Christmas now – we went to see Tchaikovsky’s “The Nutcracker”. It was fabulous! We both loved it, though, I have to say the highlight of the evening wasn’t the fabulous dancing or the wonderful music; it was a little girl sitting next to us. She must have been about three years old and, near the end of the performance, she stood up and started to jump and pirouette. She was adorable!

This is something we are very much enjoying in Russia. At times life gets rather depressing here, at least for us anyway! As it's close to the shortest day of the year it gets light about 10 am and is dark just after 4. It's often quite dull during the day too. I'm sure this isn't helping. The weather hasn't been too cold and it's pretty when it snows, though. We aren't sleeping very well as it's still rather warm inside with the heating on. (You can't control it as it's the same temperature for the whole building.) I also think we are used to being more active and being out and about doing lots of things, but the options here are rather limited for us. On the other hand I've been rather tired. In fact, neither of us is feeling 100% either. We're not exactly ill but just under the weather. Maybe it is the weather! I'm a little bored too, especially with food as options are rather limited and I've been getting lazy when it comes to cooking. I need to get my act together!

No comments: